A Good Show needs a Good Character

Coming up with Solid Characters

        Coming up with the characters was both easy and difficult. I knew I wanted them to be based off my close friends but I didn't want them to be restricted to just my friends. I want the characters to have their own personality and life. Keeping the characters and my friends separate will allow me to do more with the characters and reduce the risk of having anyone offended in the future. I don't expect anyone to get offended but who knows what could happen in the future. How would you feel if a character that's based on you did something that you wouldn't do. Then anyone who knows you thinks you would do that just because your character did? 

        So I came up with the 6 characters, I asked the 5 people they were based on to make sure they were ok with me doing this. They all approved and I moved on to working on the 3D model and trying to establish a personality for them. I also came up with new names for each character to help separate them from the person they are based on, though the new name does still relate to the person in a distant way unknown to most viewers.

        Each character has his/her own qualities that are specific to only them. For example, Dewy always has a glass of whisky in his hand, and Andie will always have a beer. Phil is obsessed with beer pong, Finn is the foreigner and loves cake. Joy is the nicest and sweetest person you ever meet and is a dog fanatic. Doug generally always carries his camera around and takes random pictures of the group. Dewy and Andie live together in the main house, Joy and Doug are a couple and live together next door. Phil is the neighbour on the other side of the main house and Finn ends up moving in with Dewy.

        At first I designed Phil to have a bit of a beer belly but I ended up fixing that due to it not working. In the image below you'll see him before I fixed his model to have a smaller stomach.

        My friends and I came up with the name of the show as West of Perfy. Ill explain more about why we chose that for the name in a future Blog post.


adam-dewar-west-of-perfy-series

adam-dewar-west-of-perfy-series

        


* * * * *

If you are interested in seeing my work on other projects or want to look at my travels so far, feel free to check out my links below.

Portfolio - adamdewar.ca

Comments