Finding a Look/Style for my Videos

How do You find your style?

        So I have the idea for a my series, I have the main characters thought out. Now how do I come up with the look and style of my video? Finding the right look that is right for your video is always a tricky part of the process when creating your videos. You want it to be different, and you want it to be appealing to your audience so it catches their eye. In 3D you can create absolutely anything you want so the task of getting the right look is even harder because you have every option available to you.

        For me, I found my style because of two reasons. 

1. I wanted it to render as quick as possible. Right now I'm only using my laptop I bought for photography and video editing so It's not the render beast that I would prefer to have. The toon shading I use doesn't have any lights or shadows so my computer doesn't have to calculate light very much. I need each frame to render quick so I can render locally and not damage my computer from over heating. 

2. Using a toon shaded look allows me to not smooth my objects in the scene which gives me a lot lower poly count and smaller scene size. Smaller scenes will load load quicker and won't slow down my laptop.

        Both those reasons also made me try to rethink how I can do the eyes and mouths of my characters in a different way. Normally I build them into the head geometry so the face deforms with the mouth and eyes, just how it does in real life. This generally uses a high poly count so the face deforms smoothly and nicely. I went with 2D facials instead. It frees up my head geometry to be very low poly. I do my facials in after effects and render out an image sequence, then use the image sequence as the texture for my faces. I took reference from the Lego Movie, Pocoyo and a few others that used 2D facials to come up with my own.

     Once I get my series started and I'm producing videos, I aim to upload one video per week. In YouTube terms, that's not overly hard. BUT, this is 3D and its a very difficult goal to achieve due to how long it takes to animate and render each video. I don't expect to reach this goal for a while but eventually I will.

        So when you are trying to come up with your specific style, Id recommend first thinking about any limits you may have. For me it was time and processing power.




      

* * * * *

If you are interested in seeing my work on other projects or want to look at my travels so far, feel free to check out my links below.

Portfolio - adamdewar.ca

Comments