Storyboards! Visually telling your Story.

Finding the right shot to tell your story.

        So I'm at the point now where I am starting to storyboard my episodes. I have just finished boarding the first two episodes and so far I'm happy with how it's looking. I have a good amount of shots to tell the story without over editing it. I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge about storyboards from animating shows professionally. 

        When I begin story-boarding, I first go through the script and try to visualize the lines being said by the character. I then highlight each line where I feel a new shot should begin. This is usually whenever a new character speaks or if there needs to be a group shot. I found it's best not to overthink your shots at this stage. Keep them simple. If there is a conversation between two people, do the classic conversation shots. Cut from one person to the other. This is only the first pass.

        After doing that, I go through the script again to see if there needs to be any reaction shots. For example, When one character says something outrageous, you cut to another character whose laughing or just staring blankly back at the first character. Your camera doesn't always need to be pointed towards the person who is talking.

        Next, I go through the script again, making sure that it all works in my head. I add the establishing shots needed to show where the characters are and what time of day it is. I then begin  creating the boards. While doing this I am able to figure out if I need an extra shot or need to remove an existing one. 

       Below you'll see one of my boards for my first episode. You'll be able to see how I frame my shots and you'll get an idea of how I plan on cutting from one shot to the other. I won't be cutting at the end of one person talking, I'll be j-cutting, which means cutting while a line is being said.
      

        I have just purchased the microphone Ill be using for voice overs! So within the next few days I'll be working on those so I can turn these storyboards into animations!

* * * * *
If you like being on the ball, go ahead and follow/subscribe to the West of Perfy YouTube and Instagram channels so you'll be first to see my first posts!

West of Perfy Youtube Channel - Here
West of Perfy Instagram - Here

If you are interested in seeing my work on other projects or want to look at my travels so far, feel free to check out my links below.

Portfolio - adamdewar.ca
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/

Comments