Voiceovers - One man, Seven characters

Voice overs - One man, Seven characters

        I'm at the point now where I've been practicing my voice overs for the characters. IT'S CRAZY HARD!! I can handle a character or two, or even three. But I'm actually doing seven. I have three guys and four girls that I'm trying to figure out how to voice. Each should sound different (obviously) but I'd also like them to not sound exactly like it's one person doing all the voices.

        Here comes Adobe Audition. You've most likely heard of it before but if you haven't then you should know it's a very good audio editing software. I've only done voiceovers once before for a video I made with a real estate company in Australia. Being my first time, I thought I did fairly well. But now watching and listening to it, I can hear the voice echoing and some background noise I should have removed, among other issues.

        Through watching tutorials on voice editing and changing by pitch shifting, I was able to create three different guy voices that can stand out from each other. For Phil I used a voice that is only slightly different from my regular voice, then shifted the pitch to make him have a higher, more nasally sounding voice. I recorded myself doing a mildly deep voice for Doug and then shifted the pitch a tad higher. I found this made his voice deep but sound a bit more natural. And for my own I just recorded my regular voice and shifted it slightly lower.

        The four girls presented a big problem for me. I have quite a significantly male sounding voice so making it sound like four different females proved a lot harder than I had expected. So far what I have worked out is that I need to focus mostly on Andie’s voice because she will be the girl that talks the most in the shows. I gave Joy quite a high pitch voice and I gave May a fairly low, raspy voice, as they won't be extremely chatty characters. Finn’s voice is where I'm stuck. Her character isn't always chatty but there will be times that she talks a lot. And she's a foreigner so I want to give her an accent. Right now I'm not amazing at accents and even when I can do an accent it's only a few words that sound good. SO I'm going to study a specific accent and try it out with her. Her the pitch of her voice may not be incredibly distinct, but I'm hoping the accent and grammar will help separate her from the others.

        I'm not expecting the first episode to be perfect, because it's where I'm planning on working out most of the problems. In fact, I'll be working out the problems for the first few episodes. They'll get better as I go along for sure, I just need to get use to hearing myself have a conversation with myself as 7 characters.



* * * * *
If you like being on the ball, go ahead and follow/subscribe to the West of Perfy YouTube and Instagram channels so you'll be first to see my first posts!

West of Perfy Youtube Channel - Here
West of Perfy Instagram - Here

If you are interested in seeing my work on other projects or want to look at my travels so far, feel free to check out my links below.

Portfolio - adamdewar.ca
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/

Comments